Thursday, April 26, 2012

D.V. in the D.R.

                                                                                                                                  Illustration by Jolain

I’ve just returned from the Dominican Republic, hence my lengthy time between posts.  It was my first trip there and I immediately fell in love with the lush natural beauty of the island and the warmth of its people.

I had some exposure to the Dominican culture while I was a design assistant to Oscar de la Renta.  He’s a kind and generous boss who loves music and enjoys life much like the people I met in the DR.  He also is a great storyteller and one of his stories kept creeping in my mind the entire time I was there. 

Years ago Mr. de la Renta had Diana Vreeland as his houseguest in the Dominican Republic.  While there, Ms. Vreeland discovered that the local pharmacy had an abundance of European health and beauty products that she adored and could not get in New York. Everyday she would make a trip to the pharmacy to do some shopping.  Eventually, Mr. de la Renta noticed that with each passing day Ms. Vreeland’s outfit for her shopping expedition became more and more outrageous, though he never mentioned it.  Towards the end of about a week’s time her outfits were completely over the top and Mr. de la Renta couldn’t imagine why.  When he asked what her plans were she casually answered she was going to the pharmacy to do a little shopping.  Finally one morning she came down to breakfast and announced that she had to leave immediately.  Mr. de la Renta protested and pleaded with her to stay longer to which she replied, and I paraphrase, “Everyday I go to the pharmacy and everyday the people want more, I don’t know what more they want but I’m out of clothes and have nothing left to give so I must go.”  Apparently a crowd, that grew with each passing day, would be waiting for her and silently watch as she went about her shopping.  Ms. Vreeland played to the crowd and gave them all she had to give.  I only wish Mr. de la Renta had photos to accompany his story.

I’m sure Ms. V. worked a mean kaftan.  Here’s my fantasy rack for her shopping expeditions and some inspiration for us all to unleash our inner D.V.


Marisa Berenson, Photo Henry Clark 1967





Side note: Marisa Berenson was one of Diana Vreeland's favorite models.

Elizabeth Taylor Christie's Auction 12/11

www.vogue.it

Emilio Pucci - style.com

Michael Kors - style.com

Roberto Cavalli - neimanmarcus.com

What a woman!




5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for all your comments, I only post what I love!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that I'd met Diana Vreeland, but through your writing I feel I have. Thanks for such an inspiring blog -- makes me want to enjoy beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Dresses, Really Trendy.

    http://www.naaptol.com/

    ReplyDelete